Tuesday, January 29, 2008

...and the Lord taketh away.


Hello All. All 6 of you.

First, I apologize for taking such a long break from updating you on all of the ridiculousness we get up to around here.

There has been a deluge of rottenness that washed away any desire I had to actually write anything down, and we're just now coming up for air.

About ten days ago, Kristi's clinic announced that it will be leased out to a new management group at the end of the month.

This management group decided that there was no room in the new clinic for Kristi, so she was informed she'd be losing her work permit.

Without a work permit, she can't stay on the island.

If you are reading this while standing, I strongly urge you to find a comfy, supportive place to sit before scrolling down any further.

I am about to release a bit of information that might come as such a shock to you, that you tumble to the floor in a formless heap.

Sitting? Okay, here goes: I'm not positive that I could keep us afloat with my "Document Filer" job.

I wouldn't trust the horrible temp agency that holds my work permit with making me a sandwich, let alone ensuring my ability to thrive in a foreign country.



SO, after much deliberation and soul-searching, we've come to the sad conclusion that we cannot stay in Cayman.

There's a lot more that went into the decision, but the stuff I already mentioned is boring enough.

We're very sad, but we don't really have any other option. Getting a job here is a nightmare, and we don't feel like struggling through another few months would give any earth-shattering experiences that would make it worth the added stress.

So, we sold the car, notified the marvelous landlords, and gave almost all of our stuff to the Humane Society Thrift Store.

I also quit the Document Filer job, and the Temp Agency called me "a disgrace to all Americans," a "failure," and told me that I was hired "even though your resume was completely insufficient for consideration by our agency."

Riiiiiight.

This is the same agency, by the way, that got me jobs driving around the island making sure phone books were delivered, sitting in cold rooms watching Med Students take tests, and sitting in an empty office licking envelopes.

And filing documents.

I guess that's more than a bilingual, CPR-certified, Eagle Scout with a degree in Communication Studies and 5 years experience at a Fortune 500 company could ever hope for.

I'm just happy they gave me a chance.

Maybe if I had finished my MBA they could have gotten me a job on the Trash Truck.

I'm sure they had a position lined up for me watching paint dry or standing in a field or something equally rewarding. What a shame that I'll miss out.

Anyway, enough about those wretched, soulless garbage-mongers.

Okay, one more... I'll just say that Hell waits for them with open arms.




We'll be leaving this Thursday and heading back to Kansas City to regroup and decide what the next adventure will be.

I'll be moth-balling the blog, unless the Kansas City Winter Mango crop is better than I'm expecting....

Check back for final thoughts and more photos of our time here.

Until then, thanks for checking in, and we'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ta.

7 comments:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

*sigh*

I feel your pain.

At least start a new blog later if you're ditching this one. Then I can start electronically stalking you again. :)

Anonymous said...

Zach,

I'm sorry to hear about you and Kristi having to cut your adventure short. I am sure your families are very excited to have you back home though. I have thoroughly enjoyed the blog and I hope you find something else to blog about! By the way...the winter mango selection is exactly what you warned me about. I think you compared it to one of Ava's dirty diapers. gack. Anywho, have a save trip back to KC!

Lisa (Stone)

Scot said...

As I've said before Marla and I are sorry for the way things turned out. It's unfortunate that there were always some negative undercurrents during your time in the Caymans.
That being said we are so excited to have you both back, in the flesh, in just a few days.
And when you step off the plan and the ground in covered with snow and ice and the windchill is 7, just remember all the people in the KC area who love you and can't wait to see you.

It will still suck, but maybe just a little less.

kam said...

indeed, not fair.
can i quote one of the bestworst films ever? A young Julia Roberts said in the ever-sappy southern dramedy Steel Magnolias: "It's better to have a few minutes of something wonderful than a whole lifetime of nothing special."
So, yeah, not quite that dramatic but the point is... you can now go rent this fine film when you get to KC because I bet there wasn't a Blockbuster on the island.
i'm sorry to hear you are leaving. hope y'all get to enjoy the last few days some and please have safe travels ...k

Anonymous said...

I'm going to send your temp company a box filled with flour to keep them on their toes. AlllllaaaahhhhH!!!!!

M. Gants v4.0 said...

Aww, that's a pisser man. Sorry to hear about that :(

Come to Europe...or even Hamburg if you don't mind cold winters ;)

Good luck with everything.

Megan said...

How sad. Sorry about the bad luck. At least you're coming back to KC towards the end of winter, yes? You should buy a puppy. Puppies make everyone happier.