Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pronounced "Kulcha...."



Yes, yes... I know it's been a while, especially considering that the only two items on my schedule are: (in no particular order)

- Waiting for my Work Permit to be Approved

and

- Waiting for the Sweet Release of Death.

I've been trying to keep busy by drinking until I forget to kill myself. And napping. And doing my best to polish off the 60 pack of Eggo Waffles that my mom bought at Costco to stifle my sister's complaints that I'm "eating all of her food."



Well, the joke is on her, because I'm using her syrup.

Anyway, here we go.

Culture. Culture is the contemporary equivalent of the "Roots Reggae" we discussed earlier. The terms are used interchangeably, which is accurate and accepted. Modern Culture music is the logical extension of the movement with which Bob Marley was associated so many years ago.

Culture is melodic music, usually played at a relaxed tempo. The syncopated rhythms and bubbling bass lines make as danceable as it is "head-nod-able..."

The lyrical focus is very positive, focusing on Rastafarianism, Cleanliness, Civil Rights, Love, Ganja, and Peace. (More on rastafarianism later...) Culture's sound has changed very little since Marley's heyday. Updates have been limited almost exclusively to technological advances in instruments and recording techniques. Form and Content have stayed very constant, and the genre has remained very pure. The lack of real commerical success outside of the Caribbean has been the principal factor in this, and believe it has most certainly benefitted the genre.

There are incredibly gifted musicians in the Culture scene now, including Richie Spice, Jah Cure, Marlon Asher, and Tarrus Riley... there are dozens more, of course, but I don't want to look like I'm showing off by rattling down a list of fifty guys you'll never hear about ever again.

SO, I'm eating all of Laura's syrup and butter, and here are some video clips of these artists to give you a feel for the soul and sound of "Culture Reggae."

Here's Tarrus Riley's video for the Smash Hit "She's Royal" which has become the summer anthem for girls all over the Caribbean (including Kristi, who honks the horn and sings loudly whenever this track gets played in Cayman....)



Incredible, right?

Here's one of our favorites, Richie Spice, performing the amazing "Earth A Run Red," which was one of the biggest reggae tunes of 2005.



....and finally, Jah Cure's "Longing For," a HUGE hit on the "Drop Leaf" riddim.



Alright, that's probably enough for now.... Stay tuned for more on riddims, Singjays, Dancehall, Rastafarianism, and me falling down the stairs.

5 comments:

Scot said...

You sir, are a veritable fount of Caribbean music culture. I am enlightened AND entertained. Which is of course par for the course when it comes to our Zachary.

Unknown said...

His incredible knowledge of things near and far is one of the reasons why I love him so much....TRULY AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

I owe both of them money... they'll both sing different tunes once the checks clear.....

Anonymous said...

We all know those checks will never clear.
Zach -- you know you can stay at our completely empty, been-on-the-market-for-6-months-now KC house once Laura runs out of syrup. -kam

M. Gants v4.0 said...

Waiting for work permits is never fun - it just takes time. Have fun in the meantime :)

...I need to go find some waffles...