Tuesday, August 14, 2007

But Officer, what do you mean "Fix My Hair?!?!"



Well, I'm here, and at long last I'm driving. Legally.

With this newfound freedom, I've taken to driving by Willie's, the fruit stand we like in South Sound, every day... I wonder if they have restraining orders in Cayman?


Anyway, August is the perfect time for Sweet Guineps.

A Guinep is a little fruit that grows on tree in bunches, as shown here. They look like a marble-sized lime, but the skin is much thinner and brittle, and "Pops" open with a little pressure.

The skin is then easily removed in two halves, almost like egg shells. The fruit inside is a little... eh, slimy. I was a slow convert, with my Brookshire Gag, and all....

But, the flavor is amazing. It tastes almost exactly like Grape Kool-Aid. There's a small stone inside that you scrape with your teeth to get the fruit, and then spit... usually at Kristi. At least that's what I do.


Willie's also has Apple Bananas, which are little bananas that have the same texture and feel of a banana in your mouth, but taste exactly like apple.

I probably shouldn't get so excited about it. Maybe I could get other people to feel like I do if it tasted like Cotton Candy or Spicy Chili or something...

I'll ask Willie's about the "Chicken Noodle Soup Banana" tomorrow.



Last on the list was Breadfruit.

Breadfruit are found in Africa, Central America, and the Caribbean. The skin in green and tough, with a checked pattern. The flesh is light and starchy, and can be used almost exactly as a potato would be.

We've had Breadfruit pan-fried, baked, mashed, and (our favorite) steamed in coconut milk. We're trying Breadfruit Salad (with Vegan "Nayonaisse") tomorrow.

We also got some mangoes.... Have I mentioned mangoes previously? Hmmmm.......

More about mangoes tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there eating your exotic fruit! enjoy!

Scot said...

Mmmmmmm. It all sounds so good!

But I have a question, why do you have Kid's (from Kid'n'Play) driver license?

Jodie Radford said...

my friend megan has spent the last two years in the caribbean. first st kitts then st lucia. i visited her. oh my GOSH. i died over the mangoes. i've never eaten anything like it.

Zach said...

Yeah, it really is a life-changing experience... I go on and on, but for good reason...

M. Gants v4.0 said...

Ah-HA! Look at that hair! Hahaha.

Zach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.