Sunday, August 26, 2007

Polly wanna mango?


Kristi has been getting me up early every day to go out and walk while she runs....

She claims it's something we "can do together," but about ten seconds after I lock the door, the "together" part is over. In a flash she's down the road to the beach while I'm still fiddling with my iPod.

I see her about 45 minutes later... she's sweaty and tells me about seeing marvelous things like hummingbirds or an Old Rasta fishing with a handline... I'm sweatiER, and tell her about how I got chased by a dog or fell down in front of the kids waiting for the bus, and that I will never, EVER get up a go walking again. Ever. No.

But the next morning I do get up, usually because I'm too tired to remember the lack of trees to climb when stray dogs are bearing down on you by the Oceanside Plantation Apartments.

I GUESS I'm happy that I wake up most mornings, but none have given the intese sense of satisfaction and luck I felt today.

Kristi circled back a little early so that we could walk together the rest of the way home... (I know, I know, I mention this only after I trash talk her intentions about getting me up..)

We heard some birds fussing in a tree, which is usual, but the way these birds were fussing was different... We searched the upper branches, finally catching a glimpse of two, yes TWO CAYMAN PARROTS!!!!!

Cayman Parrots are incredibly rare, and are almost NEVER seen in the wild and are NEVER EVER seen in West Bay. I didn't have my camera with me, but found some pics of the birds online. Here's some Cayman Parrot info:


About 2,000 parrots inhabit Grand Cayman, while the quieter, smaller Cayman Brac Parrot maintains a stable population of about 400. Nesting in tree holes in old-growth forests, the colourful parrots depend on undisturbed woodlands and black mangrove forests for survival.

The Cayman Islands parrots are two sub-species of the Cuban Parrot (Amazona Leucocephala).

Cayman's parrots have iridescent green feathers with darker edges over the body, a white eye ring, red cheeks, black ear patches and brilliant blue wing feathers which are only obvious when the bird is in flight. The tail has blue outer edges, with some red and yellowish-green underneath.

The Grand Cayman Parrot (Amazona leucocephala caymanensis) also has a pink flush to its whitish forehead.


The Cayman Brac Parrot (Amazona leucocephala hesterna) is slightly smaller, with more black trim on its green feathers. The crown is pure white, and there is a large maroon area on the abdomen. It is now found only on Cayman Brac. Although it used to inhabit Little Cayman, it was apparently wiped out from there by the 1932 hurricane.

Historically parrots were common family pets. Today, however, it is illegal to take a parrot from the wild and keep it as a pet.

Illegal, yes, but you can go to the Humane Society and legally adopt the parrots that have been confiscated from people who have them as pets, because having them as pets is illegal.... Yeah, I know.

Anyway, I have been chased by dogs in Kansas City, but have never glanced up to see parrots fussing in a tree....

I care too much about the 4 or 5 people that may actually read this to make a "We're not in Kansas (City) anymore..." joke.

Tomorrow is the Ramen Post. Get Ready.....

***Out of the tremendous respect I have for Mr. Moriyama, I'll go ahead and admit that the evil looking dog above is actually a famous photo from the Museum of Modern Art, and not one of the actual dogs that waits for me to plod down North West Point Road each morning...***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Vick asked if he could get the address of the pictured dog--he has some money to invest.

Jazz Construction VP

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! glad all is great down there! Ann

Anonymous said...

HEY,
DID U READ ADICKIEY'S THING.
I'LL SEE U TOMMROW