Sunday, October 21, 2007

Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend. Everyone with Jobs, anyway.



The last time I saw that much hair it was selling me a falafel sandwich.

Aaahhhhh.... what a weekend.

I'm not sure why the last two days felt so good. I've spent the last 100-some NOT working. The house still hasn't sold. I'm still flat broke and a haircut was the most stressful thing I've done in the last X-teen weeks.... for some reason, though, this weekend was really terrific.

It started stressfully enough, though. The electricity required to run the A/C enough to maintian the 80 degrees at which we were setting it made our electric bill $250 US. SO, now we just open the windows and accept that we'll never be dry. Or comfortable.

Anyway, it occurred to me that the large screens were easy to raise form the outside, and ever since I've worried about an intruder taking what little I have here.

WELL, the intruder finally came Friday night.

A few minutes before 5, I was jarred from my moist, uncomfortable sleep by a massive crash outside the bedroom. I was up in a flash, bellowing "KRISTI, THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE!!!!!"

I ran out the bedroom door, fist balled tightly, ready to crush the skull of whatever soon-to-be-dead burglar I encountered. I wasn't completely awake, but was able to cobble together a rapid-fire run-on of alternating threats and curses, all of which were delivered at a volume that Literally made me see stars when it was all over.

The living room was clear. I took a cleansing breath, preparing to steer the Kill-Train for the front porch when I heard Kristi say "Uh, Zach, that was the shower curtain rod falling down again."

I walked back into the bedroom, red-faced and panting, fists still clenched..... Kristi saw me standing there in my undies, the look of murderous rage fading quickly into embarassed confusion, and started laughing at me.

I had just thrown myself into the den of whatever machete-wielding gang was trying to get at her, without a weapon or even PJ's, and she was laughing at me.

Well, I guess I'll think twice before defending her from Gangstas or Shower Curtain Rods EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Anyway, we went grocery shopping, and then spent the rest of the day on the beach. We did some cooking and got to bed a little earlier than usual... We never got back to sleep after my display of simian aggression, so we were "Plum Tuckered" by 9pm.

We arose early again this morning, only on purpose this time. We headed down past Georgetown to Sunset House, which is a hotel and bar right on the edge of the water.


Sunset House is a favorite of divers, as it has it's own dive shop and has instant access to deep water with great structure right down a ladder behind the bar. We were just snorkeling today, but had incredible luck in seeing all sorts of great stuff. We saw a school of Caribbean Reef Squid, which are normally very shy and rarely in so close to land. (The underwater pics aren't mine. Once the house sells I might look into some underwater gear, but until then all I can afford to do underwater is hold my breath.)


We also saw a very small, beautiful, rare Juvenile Queen Angelfish. Here's a macro shot of the what the little guy looks like:

A jewel, right?

Kristi swims at Sunset House regularly with her "healthy friends." She always lets me sleep in on mornings when she meets with them. I think it's because once I interrupted some boring marathon story with something like "I ate a whole can of frosting last night."


Kristi always comments on how many Butterfly Fish she sees there, especially those in pairs. Some types of Butterfly Fish mate for life, and if one dies, the other starves itself to death. No frosting, nothing... just dies. It's always a big deal when we see a pair of Butterfly Fish swimming... big "AWWWWWWW-Factor."

We saw so many Butterflies today that we quit pointing them out to each other. I felt really strange... almost like getting so tired of picking up dollar bills you just stop picking them up.... Anywhere else we might see one pair on a good snorkeling session... but they were everywhere here.

We saw other great stuff, too... Stingrays, a Peacock Flounder, some huge Grey Snappers, and did I mention just a GANG of Butterfly Fish!?!?!?!

The rest of the day was spent reading and relaxing on the beach, and we roasted a local pumpkin for dinner. I'll post pics and a recipe tomorrow.

Anyway, check your shower curtain rod before going to bed... I know some of you have pistols at home, and I'd hate for you to get keyed-up from this semi-amusing tale and shoot the dishwashing machine or something.

TA!

3 comments:

Scot said...

After quickly racing to your blog upon reading the dire headline you had posted on myspace, Marla and I were pleasantly surprised to have our feelings of fear for you and Kristi and murderous rage towards a mysterious intruder turned into joy and delight at your weekend synopsis.
Although we did experience shortness of breath from laughing our asses off as well.

We miss you both tremedously but are so glad that you're finally together.

matt.roche said...

That ghost you have is a real dicklicker. Brother Lucky Dube's ghost is a treasure.

http://Dicklickingghosts.edu

Dana said...

We had a "shower rod" experience last night. Except our sleep was interrupted by our two barking dogs. As always, nothing there. Great alarm system, they are.

P.S. Butterfly fish, beaches, roasted pumpkins... your life sounds fantastic. :)