Thursday, October 25, 2007

Working Girl... I MEAN MAN!!! WORKING MAN!!!!!



The answer I gave so many times to the question "Why the Cayman Islands?" was: "To simplify our lives."

See how simple mine is after a couple of days back at work?

The headhunter that got me my work permit apparently reads the blog, because they knew exactly how broke I am. So, while they beg and plead with the banks down here to let me sweep the floors or carry boxes or whatever, they found me a short assignment with Caribbean Publishing.

I (for the next 2 weeks) am a Quality Control Manager, monitoring the nationwide distribution of the Cayman Islands Yellow Pages. I drive all over the island making sure everyone is getting their books, and am getting a fabulous tan while doing so. The tan is only on my right arm, but still....

Today I decided that it was time to call a Noon Business Meeting in my luxurious office at #1 Toyota Corsa Plaza, Executive Suite A. I'm a Manager, after all... that's what managers do, right? Call meetings?

WELL, only one soul showed up:




If the embedded video doesn't play, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5B_PBpGNqc

...to see it.

I decided to make the best of it, so we shared my peanut butter sandwich and I talked to him like I used to hear the managers at Chrysler Financial talk:

"Yeah, I'm going to need you to be a team player and really buy in to our variable responsibility model, here.... y'know, we really need you to give a 110% to this. Our chain's only as strong as it's weakest link, and frankly we need you to be a leader-breeder... We need to stick to our core values, too. There's no 'I' in team, you know - but there is in 'win.'"

Then some fat kid from a cruise ship dumped out some french fries across the parking lot, and he ran away.

"YOU COCK!!!!" I called after him. "YOU'LL BE BACK!!!!!!"

So hard to find good help these days. I was building up to a "Eagles vs. Turkeys" analogy that I thought he would particularly appreciate, but I'm glad I didn't waste it on him. He just wasn't willing to sacrifice.

You can see in the video that I had dessert warming up on the dashboard...

His loss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Rhoda, I can't get the video to work. You promised spilt french fries. -kam

Marc said...

Leave Dennis Rogers alone; he's on an inspirational roll. And by roll, I mean ZAPATAZZ A DOO DA BADING A DOONGLE BRRRRARRRY DIZZLE DAP. I wrote that just for you guys.

Kaveman said...

Tan!?! You should be wearing sunscreen!

Anonymous said...

Hey Zach I really liked that movie.
I didn't know what it was until I saw the rest of the movie.My blog need's help because I need to tell Laura when to go on so please do anything to do to help me. Rebecca's had a ingrown toenail.
Rebecca went to the docter today and got it taken off. Now she tells me " It hards" thank you for doing it for me.