Sunday, October 7, 2007

Un Descansito from Reggae...



Are you getting sick of Reggae Stuff yet?

Laura and I took the drive out to Louisiana, Mo, this weekend to visit Grandma Mary Ellen. It was a marvelous time, and we were incredibly sad to leave. Grandma's cooking and conversation were absolute perfection.

She sent us home with homemade cherry pie and her incredible dinner rolls, which I did my best to finish before we arrived home.



We attended Sunday services at Calument Presbyterian Church, which celebrated it's One-Hundred-and-Fiftieth Anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Some of the founding members were Griffiths, which got me excited about geneology... I wonder what the Georgetown library in Cayman will have in the way of birth records from Eastern Missouri?

It was while on the road to Louisiana that Laura asked if I was done with the (insert overly dramatic yawn here) Reggae posts.

I informed her that while I am NOT done with the Reggae posts, I AM done NOT peeing in the sink at her house.... so there.

I bought some nightcrawlers at the vend-a-bait machine outside a Vandalia gas station, which are currently night-crawling around under the seat of her car. I can't wait for her to meet her new friends on the way to work tomorrow.

Anyway, I should get word on my Work Permit by mid-week, and the posts will be much sunnier from there on. Approved or Denied, I'm going straight to Cayman once I hear from them. I'm not sure they're hip to the plan, but they'll be my host whether I'm working with a permit or drinking rum as a "legal dependant." I'm fine either way...

Triple. Dog. Dare.

I mean it, I'm good at sitting down, and I'm good at drinking rum. I've practiced.

**note** - If any of the fine members of the Cayman Work Permit Board read this, it's just another lame stab at "humor," or "humour" as you guys spell it.... I meant all that stuff in my application about culture and eagerness... I'd also like to do some volunteering... Uh, yeah... I'll do that.... No problem, I'm Great with children.

....and here's a picture of a stuffed pig that my Uncle Eddie got in Korea....



See? Hilarious... children love this stuff.

SO, just approve me. I'll be happy, Kristi will be happy, Laura will be happy to regain control of her guest room... plus my work ethic is downright FEVERISH by Caribbean standards....

C'mon. Please.

Anyway, here's something else:

Kristi has an incredible friend from Ireland named Leah Bryans. Leah has a neighbor back home named Caiomhe, which is pronounced "Kee-VA." (You know, in Gaelic... like how 'Siobahn' is pronounced "Shavon" and 'Dublin' is pronounced "Gypsies Stole My Digital Camera.")

Leah sent this picture of Caiomhe to us, and we are in agreement that it is possibly the greatest picture on Earth.



...and with that, I'll leave you...

More on Reggae, nightcrawlers, and Ben 'n Jerry's Cinnamon Bun Ice Cream later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am tired...and my fingers hurt. It's tough getting up 20 minutes early every day to stuff little baby bits of raw hamburger into the top of your toothpaste tube. Oh, and are nightcrawlers considered meat? Just checking since I ground them up into tiny bits and put them into the ice cream...and on the eggos. What are you going to eat now, huh?

Megan said...

That picture IS awesome. There are so many fun random things in it. Love the goggles.